Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The New Emerging Global Economic Order: Taking the U.S.-India Example

U.S-India ties

Under Secretary for Economic Growth, Energy, and the Environment, Bureau of Economic, Energy and Business Affairs.

As prepared for delivery

Thank you for that wonderful greeting. I am honored to accept your invitation to participate in the Partnership 2013 Summit. For me this is an excellent opportunity to learn from so many distinguished women and men from across India and from around the world.  To be back in Agra, against the backdrop of one of the great works of art and love of mankind, the Taj Mahal, is a distinct and profound pleasure.  I am always happy to be in India.  On Saturday, I fulfilled a long held wish, when I was able to witness Republic Day in all of its splendor.  It is a remarkable event that I will long remember.

I first came to India as a young man. I traveled the Grand Trunk Road and discovered for myself “incredible India” – long before that term became a common one. My month-long journey on buses and trains – and sometimes on top of buses and trains – was one I have never forgotten.  I saw up close and in action this country’s vibrant democracy, and rich, diverse, creative society. I was left with a deep and enduring affection for both India’s people and its indomitable spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment